Okayama Castle, also known as 《crow castle》 due to its black exterior, was built in 1597 in the style of the Azuchi-Momoyama Period. The original castle was destroyed in the last year of World War 2, but a reconstruction was made in 1966. The castle is located on the Asahi River, which was used as a moat. Korakuen Garden is located just across the river. The main building of Okayama Castle is the six story castle keep. The keep's interior is modern and displays exhibits on the history and development of the castle. Only one of Okayama Castle's original buildings escaped destruction, the Tsukimi Yagura (moon viewing turret), which dates back to 1620. There are also reconstructions and unearthed foundations of former buildings, which help illustrate the former extent of the castle's complex of buildings.
4 minutes from JR Okayama Station. Get off at the Shirosita Dentei. A 10-minute walk.